As we count down to Christmas Day, we thought it would be a great idea to find 10 alternative dishes to Roast Turkey that you can serve to your loved ones this Christmas.
Whether you're looking for a vegetarian dish or a delicious alternative to a traditional Christmas roast, we've picked out 10 mouth-watering recipes to inspire you, from a colourful vegan stuffed celeriac, to hearty roast beef and succulent salmon.
- 30g butter
- 3 tsp demerara sugar
- 2 x 300g packs steamed beetroot, halved
- 10g fresh rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 500g puff pastry
- plain flour, for dusting
- 2 tsp creamed horseradish sauce
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 125g goat’s cheese, crumbled
- fresh thyme, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Heat the butter and sugar in a 26cm ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat until melted. Add the beetroot and cook for 5 mins to soften and caramelise. Sprinkle with the chopped rosemary.2. Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to the thickness of a $2 coin. Cut out a circle 2cm larger than the diameter of the frying pan.
3. Spread one side of the pastry with the horseradish sauce. Arrange the beetroot in the pan in an even layer, cut-side down, then lay the pastry circle sauce-side down over the beetroot, tucking the edges down inside the side of the pan.
4. Brush with beaten egg and bake for 35-40 mins until golden and puffed up. Leave to cool for 5 mins, then carefully run a knife around the edge of the pan, place a large serving plate over the top and invert the pan to flip out the tart. Top with the crumbled goat’s cheese and thyme leaves to serve. Serve with extra horseradish sauce, if liked.